Office Hours with Iterative Partners
Oct 1, 2020 by Hsu Ken Ooi
We’re excited to host open online office hours for startup founders every Friday throughout the month of October. Office hours are 20-minute sessions between you and one of our partners, where they try to help you with your startup as much as they can. This is very similar to the partner meetings we hold with companies during the batch.
If you’re in the early stages of building a company, we’d love to meet you. Please sign up here.
How it Works
- Application – Submit a short application telling us more about what you’re working on. If you’re worried you’re too early, please apply. We like helping companies at their earliest stages.
- Review and Invite – We will review applications and invite you to office hours via email.
- Office Hours – You will spend 20 minutes with an Iterative partner talking about a challenge you’re currently facing. To make the most use of the time, we highly recommend that you come with a specific question or challenge.
- Hsu Ken Ooi, Managing Partner at Iterative – Hsu Ken was previously the Chief Product Officer of Workmate, an on-demand blue collar staffing platform in Southeast Asia. In 2014, he was VP of Product at Weave (YCS14). In 2009, he started Decide.com with Hsu Han Ooi, Brian Ma, Oren Etzioni, and Ian Ma. Decide.com was an early machine learning company that predicted the future price of consumer goods. It was acquired by eBay in 2013. Hsu Ken has a BS in Mathematics and Statistics from the University of Washington.
- Brian Ma, Managing Partner at Iterative – Brian was previously the Co-Founder and CEO of Divvy Homes (a16z, GIC). In 2014, he and Elpizo Choi started Weave (YCS14). In 2009, he started Decide.com with Hsu Ken Ooi, Hsu Han Ooi, Oren Etzioni, and Ian Ma. Decide.com was an early machine learning company that predicted the future price of consumer goods. It was acquired by eBay in 2013. In 2005, he was one of the first PMs at Zillow before they launched. Brian has a BS in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering from the University of Washington.
- Hsu Han Ooi, Managing Partner at Iterative – Hsu Han was previously the first engineer at Mutiny (YCS18). In 2017, he was a Senior Engineer at the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI2). In 2016, he was a Partner at Madrona Venture Labs. In 2009, he started Decide.com with Hsu Ken Ooi, Brian Ma, Oren Etzioni, and Ian Ma. Decide.com was an early machine learning company that predicted the future price of consumer goods. It was acquired by eBay in 2013. Hsu Han has a BS in Computer Science from the University of Washington.
What is Iterative?
Iterative is a Y-Combinator style accelerator that invests USD $150K upon acceptance, works with the founders intensely on their idea before helping them fundraise at our Demo Day.
You can see our first batch of companies here.
Why are we doing this?
We want more startups in Southeast Asia! We think more people would start companies if they had a little bit of guidance on where to start, what to work on, etc. We know this helped us a lot when we were getting started.
Who sees my application?
Only Iterative partners.
What kind of teams can apply?
As long as you’re working on something, you’re welcome to apply. You don’t necessarily have to have launched, have a team, etc.
Will you fund us?
No guarantees :) but if you would like to be seriously considered for that, we recommend you apply to our accelerator.
If you have any other questions, I’d love to answer them. Email me firstname.lastname@example.org